Thin film passive components for analog, digital, power and RF functions in smart mobile electronics and implantable bio-electronic systems.
Power Components Digital and RF Components Interposer with Embedded Thin IPDs and Thin Film Passives
Today's component technologies lead to discrete and bulky systems with limited performance and miniaturization capability. A new set of thin and thick film technologies with nanomaterials and processes are required to address these limitations and transform the bulky discretes to integrated thin components.
Unique Features of this Global Consortium Include:
- Power supply components with 10-100X enhancement in component volumetric efficiency
- Enhanced film properties for lower loss and improved efficiency
- Power integrity in high-speed processors and 3D ICs
- Integrated energy storage in packages
- Stable dielectrics with high permittivity and permeability at high frequencies
- Tunable thin film components
- Noise isolation in mixed-signal systems
- High-density inductors: High permeability and low-loss magnetic core for higher volumetric and power efficiency
- High-density capacitors: Advanced high-surface area electrodes and conformal dielectrics
- Package integration of supercapacitors and thin film batteries
- TSV and trench capacitors: Advanced dielectrics with low-cost wafer-compatible processes.
- RF components: Stable dielectrics with high permittivity and permeability
- EMI isolation: Horizontal and vertical EMI isolation in 3D systems.
TPC Research Tasks and Team
- Program Manager – Dr. Raj Pulugurtha
- Thin Film Batteries – Prof. Meilin Liu
- High-Density Inductors – Dr. Raj Pulugurtha
- High-Density Capacitors – Dr. Himani Sharma
- Organic, Silicon or Glass Substrates – Dr. Venky Sundaram
- Design and Characterization – Prof. Madhavan Swaminathan
- Supercapacitors – Prof. Gleb Yushin
- Industry Liaison and Memberships – Mr. Dean Sutter, Director of Industry Relations
- Faculty Director – Prof. Rao Tummala, PRC Director